Sunday, April 3, 2011

Peace, Zen, Tranquility, Happiness

(This little guy to the left is a two toed sloth from the Heidelberg Zoo. He helped me find my happiness again.)

Call it what you may, even call it slothness - bottom line in life we must be happy with who we are, be happy in our own skin so to speak. After all we are with ourselves 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, every year of our lives. We need - NO we MUST be happy with ourselves. So, darn it let's sit down with ourselves everyday and work on it.

I went to the zoo yesterday. It was the first time I went to the zoo in about three years. The last time I went was back home in Texas. I loved that zoo there, but the zoo here was so peaceful. I know all zoos are meant to be peaceful, but this one has it right.

As I walked around and looked at the birds, big cats, bears, primates in their eyes, the more I realized that I put myself into restrictive areas in life. With each animal I spent time looking into their eyes. It was weird that you can actually do that here. I got right next to a chimpanzee, and a two toed sloth climbed above my head. Literally above my head. If I had inched up even a bit I would have touched it. However, I realized that I can take myself out of those areas on my own as well. It's my choice.

I will tell you that close to one of my all time favorite animals completely made my day. I can not tell you how happy it made me, but I can tell you I literally "SQUEED" when I saw the two of them. One was quite active, the other was - well a sloth. LOL This made me realize that you can be a "sloth" and still be happy - as long as you're being true to you, and to who you are. This wonderful creature is considered by the christian faith to be one that is lazy. I watched this creature take it's time going around it's area. The entire time looking carefully for what I was searching. It was not lazy at all. It was inquisitive, clear in it's endeavor and sought out what I wanted. It was one more christian story I can put out of my memory. Sometimes we're taught wrong. It's up to us to clear it up and re-educate ourselves and learn from life. Well, this sloth taught me that, it taught me to be clear on what I want when I go out searching.

So, as I embark on a whole new week I will do my best to remember that it's up to me to be happy, and that I deserve to be happy. I hope you have a great week too. Do something each day that will make you happy. Wear that scent you love so much; go have that lunch you really enjoy; call the person that makes you giggle like you did when you were nine; go hug someone and make their day - sometimes making someone else happy is what makes us the happiest.

No comments: